Sunday, January 6, 2013

Holiday...

The last several weeks have been chock full of elf work, as my mom called it growing up. Preparing for a big Christmas party, recovering from the big Christmas party, baking and creating, stitching and wrapping. There were shopping trips with friends and guests over for coffee while we enjoyed the tree lights. There were roaring fires and cider, visits with family.

I'll be honest, I'm exhausted.

As in, gray bags under my eyes, grumpy, going to bed with the house a giant wreck last night because I just don't have the energy to care anymore. And it felt really wonderful to know that The Day, while enjoyed thoroughly, is no longer there to push towards through miles of to-do lists.

Do I sound Grinchy to you? Because I can assure you that this weary tone in my voice is merely the aftermath of wonderful weeks of magic-making in our home. Aimée and I read books by the dozen and I created several vignettes that make my heart sing. 

It's not that I've attempted more than the average person, but I've added to normal responsibilities, and expected to feel fresh and awake enough to enjoy it.


As children Christmas can't last long enough and a serious shadow would always fall on my world Christmas night as I realized all I had looked forward to was drawing to a close. I still enjoy the holiday just as much, but instead I'm delighted to see the day draw to a close. It means a fresh start. Time for the gym, normal sleep patterns, fresh goals and focus on where I'm headed. For this blog that means you will be seeing a lot more of me. I've missed you! That sounds like such a cliché, but at the end of so many days I've remembered this space and felt sad to be ignoring it briefly. I need this outlet. To think things through in words, even if they are never posted. To share what I'm creating. To communicate authentically.

So before I continue catching up on sleep, I will share a few of my favorite things from the last few weeks:

As November drew to a close I found myself remembering the chocolate houses we made as children with a family friend, smothered with candy, watched longingly until the day after Christmas when we would be allowed to actually eat it. Sometimes old memories should be relived.




Terrariums fascinate me. Living creations, able to reflect so many moods and styles, pieces gathered from my home and a friend's yard. This deer and I have been keeping Christmas together, set by my kitchen sink as I wash dishes and kneed bread.



I share our experiences hoping they resonate with your own heart, that your holiday was filled with good things, and that you too are gently tucking them away, looking up and forward into the new year.