Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Burst...

The last couple of weeks have brought good things to our home. Pockets of creativity bursting through, unplanned for. And I've been scrambling to keep my camera or pen in hand to capture all of this. In my experience this flow of ideas and action cannot be forced. Coaxed with lots of rest, reading and carefully chosen surroundings, yes. But they are a gift. Not something to be taken for granted. 

In making much of small ideas, documenting them, sharing them, I find an internal stream of thoughts is begun, and if I watch closely more ideas will follow. This week began with fruit being prepped for the day, and realizing that while plastic storage containers are just fine, they can't hold a candle to a jam jar. Why would I want chocolate when this is waiting in the frig for me?


A little idea Aimée and I are trying out is taking the hour before lunch to focus on some of the stitching projects spread out on my work tables. Little one has been remarkably cooperative, especially considering that she is restricted to the top of our bed, within arms reach of me, to play with whatever I dig out of my stash. Thus far my box of silk flowers has kept her the happiest. And I find myself daydreaming about what fun she will have when she's old enough to be given a needle and thread...


Why must breakfast be rushed through? When a huge pot of tea can help us linger over biscuits and jam, eggs smothered in salty parmesan and roasted tomatoes? Managing the normal ups and downs of the day is so much easier when we have begun with conversation in morning light.